Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Poetry Blitz, Four.


This post is the fifth installation of book ends'
National Poetry Month poetry blitz! Read about it here.


Married Life
by Jeannine Hall Gailey
from Ninth Letter (Vol 5, Issue 2)

You sing in your sleep, he told her.
He rubs her stomach counter-clockwise.

Everyone says I’m lucky she says
to have you.

She washes his hair with lemon and chamomile
to make it more golden.

He chops vegetables on a wooden tablet he made himself.
She thinks she ought to be better with her hands.

You make my life easier she tells him.
I curse like a sailor since I met you he says.

Buyer’s remorse? An empty cradle,
a woman sharper and shorter-haired than he’d married.

They break things made with care,
watch a pair of otters in the river

twisting and grooming and biting.
They look like they’re trying to drown each other.

What do I sing? She asks him.
I don’t know. I don’t understand the words.

Snatches of song like you’re underwater.
Sometimes it sounds like you’re laughing.

L. Stacks

Photo: weheartit

3 comments:

the NEO-traditionalist said...

I've never seen this poem before and I LOVE it!!! Saving to my files now. Oh and the otters, too cute. Reminds me of the Monterey Bay Aquarium!
xo katie

Lauren Stacks said...

Thanks! This is one of my favorites. I just love the clippy tone and unexpectedness of it. I have a file of my favorite poems, too :)

Lauren

Jocy said...

This is wonderful!