Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Homecoming



"I'm coming home again." -Kanye West

Last Friday morning, I drove back home to Chicago from my little vacation in Michigan. As I rounded my way up Lakeshore Drive, the sleek buildings swelled before me, and, as always, I felt that moment of awe that I feel whenever I come back to this city. I'm not sure what it is about Chicago's skyline that makes me feel dizzy in appreciation--maybe the humbling experience of being so small next to all the steel and concrete--but all I know is that I've never been as infatuated with a place as I am here.

I never would have thought, growing up in a town with unpaved roads, plenty of open fields and streams, whose tallest building might be three stories high, that I would ever love a place like this, but it seems that my favorite scenery isn't any natural landscape, but instead man-made designs, rows of walk-ups, and plenty of windows. Many of my friends who live back in Michigan cannot fathom living in a city, walking around among strangers day in and day out, but I cannot imagine how the grandness of a bustling place like this couldn't get into your bloodstream after a couple of weeks here.

To cut to the point, I guess all that I'm really saying is that it's nice to be back in this city. To be inspired yet again by this place that is my home.

L. Stacks

[photo: rjseg1]

3 comments:

the NEO-traditionalist said...

You're such a talented writer, I can tell from this very post! I've only been to Chicago once, but I too felt that sense of awe. It's such a breathtakingly beautiful place. Good for you...isn't it exhilarating being a small town girl in the big city? XO Katie

Stephany said...

I know exactly how you feel. I get that same feeling whenever I am in Chicago too. It's a feeling that is almost impossible to explain. When I talk to people from back home, they're always like "How can you live in big cities like Grand Rapids and Chicago after growing up here?" and I can't answer them. All I know is, the "little town" life just isn't for me!

Jocy said...

This is a lovely post. It captures for me that feeling whenever I look at the small Portland skyline. Chicago is a great city. Welcome home.