Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Watch a Movie? Yes, Please.


For some time now, I've been thinking about buying a netflix subscription. As a writer, I know that I should be watching more movies (and of course reading more books) but movie-watching is something that seems to rarely happen for me. I rarely watch movies unless it's something that's on TV, and let's face it, most of the junk on TV isn't going to help me with my writing very much. I'm ready to take the netflix plunge, only I think that I should wait until the semester is over so that I don't end up spending hours in front of the TV rather than reading Bourdeiu or working on my thesis.

But I already have a list of a few of the movies that I know I want to check out as soon as I can. Most have been recommended to me by fellow writers or artists, so I'm excited to start checking these off my list.


I saw an interview with Maggie Gyllenhaal on a talk show a few weeks ago when I was at the gym, along with a clip of the movie, and since then I've been itching to check it out.

Milk (2008)

Sadly, there was a lot of drama at my alma mater regarding Dustin Lance Black, the writer of the film, and this is what really brought this movie into my radar. (I am totally oblivious when it comes to movies, I'm telling you!) I want to watch this mostly because the conservatives at my old school don't want me to.

Amelie (2001)

Yes, it's true. I've never seen it. And that must be fixed, period.

Mad Men (2007)

I've heard so many good things about this TV series, and the fact that it's set in the 1960s certainly makes me think I would love it. Also, I am aware that the show addresses the dynamics between men and women in the work place, and women's roles, both stereotypical and not. Definitely up my alley.


I honestly don't know much about this movie, but I know it takes place during WWII in an alternate reality, so I'm definitely intrigued by that. Growing up, I devoured any historical book about WWII and the Holocaust, weirdly enough.


I'm always up for an independent film, and this was recommended by my fiction professor, so I am looking forward to checking it out. Also, it appeared on some of the top 50 of the decade blogs, so I figure it's worth watching.

Precious (2009)

I'm normally not one to like movies and/or books that are hyped up by the general public, but I'm interested in seeing what all the talk of Precious is all about, nonetheless.


Gasp! I've never seen it. I should be shunned, or something. I'm pretty sure I'll love it, when I do finally get around to seeing it.

My dear readers, do you have any more suggestions for me? And what do you think of netflix, those of you who have accounts? Should I take the plunge?

L. Stacks

5 comments:

Mel said...

I'm so anti-Netflix, because I used to work in a video store that's probably about to go under, because of Netflix. Yay for progress. But I don't work there anymore and I've never seen a video store within walking distance of my place, so maybe I should take the plunge and also get Netflix.

Aside from that, I can't believe you haven't seen Amélie! One of my favourites, absolutely. I just love the way it's told. And I love You Can Count on Me as well. I own both, but I think I only have Amélie on an old VHS. Anyway, you can borrow if you want!

Mandy said...

Hopefully by the time you are done for the semester Precious won't have such a long wait list.

PS Good movie ideas. I might have to make Matt try some of those :)

impendwa said...

Lauren, I LOVE Netflix, contrary to Mel's opinion it seems :) I highly recommend it.

Also, Milk is one of my absolute favorites. Just saw Precious and Inglorious Basterds. I'd love to hear your thoughts on both of them sometime. Precious definitely provides some serious food for creative thought. And Inglorious Basterds is just crazy awesome and really odd.
Mad Men is my current obsession. I can't get anything done because I'm addicted to Mad Men. I laughed when I saw that you had that on your list-- we definitely were friends in another life!

Patricia Snook said...

Oh girl! I love all of these! You have to watch, if you haven't seen it already, Almost Famous, that will put you in the mood for summer!

Ooh you've got such a pretty blog, you're a fantastic writer! You've also got a new follower :)

xoxo

www.awonderingstar.com

Lori said...

I also cannot believe you've never seen Amelie. Go. Go now.

Greg and I have the Blockbuster version of this service. If you live near a Blockbuster store, you can take back your movies and pick out your exchange from the store. You can also mail them back in, like netflix.

Two cents, given.