Tuesday, January 12, 2010

book ends book list: Me & Emma

2. Me & Emma had been recommended to me by several of my friends, and so I decided to start it yesterday morning while I sat in the sun by the pool. I'd never heard of Elizabeth Flock or any of her books, but I had an open mind. Me & Emma was an easy read. I haven't read a full book in one day in a loooong time, but I did just that with this nearly 300-pager. The book is written through the perspective of 8-year-old Carrie, and so is easy to fall into and to understand. However, I kept finding myself thinking that the ages were a tad off--sometimes Carrie would think and do things that I thought would be more like what a 12-year-old would, and at other times she would act far younger than 8. I suppose I could have been thinking too hard, though. Similarly, I felt that most of the character were simply shells of the stereotypes holding them together: abusive stepfather, beaten-down mother, white-trash children. While I didn't think that this book was particularly well-written, it was engaging. The plot held my attention throughout the book. However, I was a little annoyed by the ending. I don't want to emit any spoilers out there to the blog world, but let me just say that I had a small inkling of what could possibly happen around page 150, and thought to myself: I am going to be pretty upset if that's what goes down. And I was pretty upset, to put it mildly. And I'm still unsure of how I feel about that.

Balboa Island today, and we're off to L.A. tomorrow!! I can't wait to share my pictures once I'm back home.

L. Stacks

2 comments:

Casey said...

Those were my SAME issues with that book! In fact, I stopped reading halfway through because the ending was so obvious to me. You are a more loyal reader than I!

Jen said...

Hmm, I got this from the library but never read it. Not going to re-check it out now. Thanks for the review.