Friday, November 6, 2009

Zoom Zoom


This weekend, the midwest is taking off her winter coat and warming up to the 60s. I'm going to spend plenty of time outside at this site, watching my little brother run in the Michigan cross country State Finals. Kyle (see his speedy picture below) is ranked first in his division, and so is his high school team. I'm warming up my vocal chords and tying up my dusty running shoes in order to zip from place to place in order to cheer him on.


[Track State Meet Spring 2009]

I've been thinking about my little brother a lot lately, trying to send him good ju-ju during all of the cross country meets I've missed this season. And I've realized something: Kyle is the only member of my family that I have yet to write a poem about. It's not that I don't think my brother is worthy of a poem, or that I don't want to write something about him--instead, it's more that I don't think that I can quite pin him down enough (nor do i want to) in order to write a poem about him yet. He's in the midst of making college decisions, trying to run his heart out, and being an eighteen-year-old boy. I don't want to try to make sense of him yet, to put that out into the world until he's made sense of himself.

So instead, I'll just cheer hard, and cross my fingers for him. Go little brother!

L. Stacks

No comments: