Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Ruckus is Responsible:

Last night, I was in attendance at Roger's Park'sRuckus Theater, for their new show "Tell It & Speak It & Think It & Breathe It."








This collection of fourteen short plays based on well-known songs offered a unique way to look at how music affects each of our lives. As the artistic director explained, "Because the brain creates music, it's inherently personal, and lyrics become a part of our cultural and personal lexicon through which we interpret our world." While a few of the performances recited lines from its respective song verbatim, others simply presented a play using themes from the song. The "playlist" for the show ranged from songs by Cat Stevens and Paul Simon to Pearl Jam, System of a Down, and even Paris Hilton.

I loved the whole concept of this show. As an avid music-lover, it was really cool to see how each writer took a song and either heightened its meaning, or gave it new meaning. Some skits were just plain hilarious (Jeff Green's "Baby Got Back") while others were so quietly thoughtful that I don't think I'll ever be able to shake them out of my head (Aaron Dean's "Former Things"). While the theater itself is small (seating about 30 people) and a little chilly, I loved the intimate experience. While the show was longer than I had anticipated (nearly two and a half hours), I surprisingly did not find my attention wavering much throughout the entire performance. I would definitely recommend spending $10 on this show--and supporting the inaugural season of Ruckus Theater--over spending $10 on a ticket for some lame movie (Saw IV? Six, really?!).

L. Stacks

2 comments:

Adam Morgan said...

Don't disqualify the entire motion picture genre as "lame" based on the ungodly Saw franchise! There are ostensibly more bad books/plays/movies than good, no?

Ryan Dolley said...

Thanks for the kind words, and glad you enjoyed the show!

Ryan,
Ruckus Managing Director, Resident Playwright.