Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Own Outline of Monson's "Outline"

I. Just finished reading Ander Monson's experimental essay, "Outline Toward a Theory of the Mine Versus the Mind and the Harvard Outline"

a. (from his collection of essays, Neck Deep and Other Predicaments from Graywolf Press).

II. I love the scope of the piece--about everything from

a. the history of mining in Upper Michigan

b. to the idea that writing consists of "mining" one's childhood

c. to possession

d. to rigid structure.

III. Even though this essay is written in the cold, impersonal form of the outline, I found myself absolutely loving all of Monson's asides and the connections he made.

IV. This piece makes the outline loveable.

V. "Outline Toward a Theory of the Mine Versus the Mind and the Harvard Outline" is definitely going on my list of essays that influence me, that one day I'd love to be able to use in my own classroom.

L. Stacks

No comments: