Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Back in Chicago, Sea-Level


Lovely readers, I'm back from Denver, and while I had a great time during my whirlwind visit, I'm glad to be back at sea-level. I was really surprised how much the altitude messed with me--I woke up with headaches each morning, and felt exhausted by 10 p.m. each night. Chicago is now fully green and blooming, and all the extra air sure feels nice in my lungs. I only took a few pictures during my trip, so here a just a few:

16th Street Mall, with its Free Mallride and streets without any cars allowed

Cute Larimer Square, where I ate at a delicious French restaurant.

The Capital Building, in Capital Hill, where we stayed.

Overall, my trip was a blast. I did tons of writerly things--attended a reading by George Saunders and listened to Michael Chabon speak (and I'm currently reading his book The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay!). I got lots of free literary magazines, made some great contacts, and even had lunch with a friend whom I met on a plane ride in January!

I attended some great panels, and others that weren't so great. But they all had wonderful titles: Mommy, I'm Having an Existential Crisis!: Voices of Children in Fiction; All Around Bitch: The Challenges of Writing Unlikeable Female Protagonists; and Sick Humor: What's Not Funny About Serious Disease? On Saturday evening, we went out to what is apparently a Denver hotspot, The Whiskey Bar, where baseball fans could bring their ticket stub and get a free PBR after the game.

I'd definitely love to go back to Denver when I have more time. And I'm already planning on attending next year's AWP Conference in Washington D.C.--I just haven't told my fiance yet.

L. Stacks

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I am happy to hear you had a great time! Welcome home :)