Monday, February 15, 2010

My "To Read" List





[From Bottom to Top]

Muriel Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog
I'll admit that I started this book in January, but I just haven't been able to finish it yet. There are parts I love about it so far (the characters) and parts that have been a bit of a bore for me (some of the characters' long philosophical rants). But I will finish this book soon.

Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants
Both my roommate and my fiance's sister have asked me if I read this book, and since I've seen this novel repeatedly on the bestseller shelves of Barnes & Noble, I've wondered what all the fuss is about.

Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrow's The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
This book was a gift from a friend who works at Random House, a friend whose opinion I trust, so this is definitely on the list.

Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner's Freakonomics
Ever since reading Gang Leader For a Day, I've been wanting to read more about Sudhir Venkatesh, and this book is the perfect way to do so, since a couple chapters are dedicated to his stories about the cocaine economics in the Chicago projects.

Cormac McCarthy's The Road
While I'm a bit leery that this book has been made into a movie, I've heard good things about the story, and am intrigued by it. I've heard it's kind of weird, and that makes me want to check it out.

J. D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye
I started this book earlier last summer, but then my copy fell into the pool and I had to take a break from it while it was drying--true story, I swear. And to jump on the bandwagon after Salinger's death, I figure I should probably finish the story. So slightly wrinkled pages, here I come.

This book was a present from two of my friends because they know how much I adore Lorrie Moore's short stories. I'll admit, I'm a little nervous to see her work in novel form, simply because I think her shorts are perfect.

Every since I read Didion's "The White Album" during my creative nonfiction II class this past semester, I've been itching to read more of her work. So when I saw this book at a used bookstore, in perfect condition, I snatched it right up.


Readers, what books are sitting by your bedside, constantly reminding you that they need your attention?

L. Stacks

5 comments:

Chitownmez said...

My next focus is getting through all of Augusten Burrough's books. "Running with Scissors" made a HUGE impact on me as a nonfiction writer. I highly suggest it. I'm currently reading "Possible Side Effects" which has been a nice easy read.

Other titles: I'm going to reread "Loose Girl" by Kerry Cohen (another life changer) and am trying to finish up "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls.

Didion is on the list too. I have yet to read anything from her and really need to.

Lauren Stacks said...

I haven't read any of Burrough's books, but my roommate has some of them and has recommended them. I've never read "Loose Girl" but will take note of it, but I have read "The Glass Castle," and I liked it!

Martha said...

Who will run the frog hospital is a lovely read. I throughly enjoyed it, also, I've been meaning to read Freakonomics.

Lauren Stacks said...

Martha--after you read Freakonomics you should read Gang Leader for a Day... it's really good!

nikki said...

Freakonomics is a great read, I picked it up on at the airport over the holidays and was done in just two days of traveling.

I can't believe you haven't read Catcher in the Rye yet!

I am struggling through Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne now not what I expected and I have promised my Mom I will one day get through Atlas Shrugged...

There are some great suggestions here I may have to venture to first though!

Congrats on the publication!