Thursday, January 7, 2010

book ends book list: The History of Love


My friend and fellow blogger, Lori Rader Day does this really cool thing that I've decided to borrow for the year 2010. In 2009, she kept track of each book she read for the year, and blogged a short description/review of each book. For several years I have thought about keeping track of my reading each year, but always fail to do so. But 2010 seems the perfect time to finally do so.

So... I'm introducing my first "book ends book list" post!



1. My first book of the year was a novel, The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss. I had been pining after this book ever since I saw a quote from it on this wedding invitation: "Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering." Just like I suspected, I loved this book. It started a little slow (once you get past the first 20 pages, you will be smitten!) but Krauss' language and beautiful lyricism kept me going from the start. The History of Love is a story about Alma Singer, a teen trying to discover a way to make her widowed mother happy again, and leo Gursky, an old man who longs to write a publishable novel, hopes for his son's acceptance, and is obsessed with thinking about his own death. Vital to this book is another book (also titled The History of Love): one written, published, and held dear by many who had read it, or had the book read to them. I found myself racing through the book in order to figure out how Alma and Leo were connected, and ever-hoping for excerpt after excerpt of the original The History of Love. I loved how the book jumped from Alma's POV to Leo's, and the slightly experimental form. This book definitely rang in a new year in a good way for me.

(P.S. Isn't Alma such a great name?! I adore it.)

L. Stacks

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hey! That's me!

I've actually been keeping track of what I read for a few years, and it's really fun in a totally geek way. It also keeps me from whining about never getting any time to read. Because apparently I do get time to read.