Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Our New York Getaway

A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend and I took a 4-day weekend and traveled to New York for a lovely excursion. We explored as much of the city as we could in just a few days--the financial district, South Street seaport, Greenwich Village, Little Italy, Chinatown, downtown, the Upper West Side, and Central Park. We got a chilly view of the city atop the Rock, and I found myself once again awed by the site of beautiful buildings and miles of concrete... who knew that a small town girl like me would be able to fall in love with sleek, endless buildings?


While I loved New York for its delicious food--seriously, why can't Chicago step it up a little and offer a selection of restaurants as wide-ranging and always-satisfying as the Big Apple? Maybe it's just because I live so close to Wrigleyville, but it seems that the most-common kind of restaurant in Chicago is the pub.

However, as much as I'd love to dine every night in NY, I just don't know if I would love living there as much as I love Chicago. Everywhere we went, whether touristy or not, I was astounded by the mass amount of people. It seemed impossible to find a quiet street, to ever find a place where you could be the only one around. This is one of the things I love about Chicago--sure, the Loop and the Mag Mile are plenty crowded, but it's easy to find little hidden-away places where you can forget that you live in a city with 2.9 million other people.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that New York was a great getaway, a great place to dine and see plenty of bright lights and Broadway shows (like Jersey Boys!) but, it was still nice to come home to Chicago.

(However, if I had to live in New York, it would probably be in this building--isn't it adorable?)

:)
L. Stacks



No comments: