Saturday, April 4, 2009

Tunes and Tweets

I hung out with a friend from high school last night and she returned to me a CD she'd borrowed a while back. After I let her borrow it, my whole hard drive had crashed and I had lost all my music. 

The point of all this is that I'm so happy to have Jon McLaughlin back. His first album, Indiana, is, in my opinion, one of the best albums released in the last few years. I'm sure it helps that I'm a total sucker for piano music, and that's what McLaughlin does best--just check out "Industry" and you'll see what I mean. I'm pretty sure this song is the only song on my iPod that I have never skipped while on shuffle!

Not only does he make me weak in the knees with his beautiful, energetic piano-playing, he's also witty. His lyrics are clever, and catchy:

I can't find Crazy Horse,
Can't find Hoffa, and Amelia's missing 
Somewhere out at sea.
And I hope their happy
Having a party
And Elvis is servin' them up green apple martinis.

I can't find my watch,
Can't find my wallet.
So how in the hell am I supposed to find
The one that I love,
The one that I need,
Hidden so high, buried so deep?

-"Amelia's Missing"

Seriously, if you haven't already, check him out. I promise it'll get your toe tapping. And it looks like he has a new album out, so I'll have to buy it and let you know what I think.

---

Similarly, said friend also convinced me to join Twitter. I had been hemming and hawing for some time now, so when she said "Got to twitter.com and create a username," I, well, had to. Check me out: LaurenStacks!

L. Stacks

No comments: