Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book Help! (Please & Thank You!)





Sadly enough, it's nearly mid-March and I have yet to finish a book and review it for my readers. This unfortunate dilemma boils down to two reasons:

1. I've been working (a lot!) on my novel (page count is up to 170)

2. I just can't seem to get into any of the books I've started

So readers, here's your chance to speak up for any of these said boring books so that I can give them another chance (if they so deserve it) OR suggest a different can't-put-it-down read for me.

iWe Were the Mulvaneysby Joyce Carol Oates

A Secret Gift by Ted Gup

Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

So speak up, friends! I'm longing for a good read and to actually read a book this year! (What a novel idea!)

L. Stacks

6 comments:

Randall said...

Hotel.

Jen said...

Waiter Rant = sell out.

You should review The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Also, you should read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods". It will get you pumped up for camping and is a super easy read, Justin read it in a weekend.

Tara said...

The Name of the Wind

and the sequel to it just came out this week.

The Wise Man's Fear

by Patrick Rothfuss

Sorry about Waiter Rant...I thought the stories were pretty hilarious and figured since you were starting a blog it was perfect.

Adam Morgan said...

There's an amazing new novel-in-stories by a Chicagoan, set in Chicago, called How To Hold A Woman by Billy Lombardo. His tone and sensibilities are similar to yours and I think you'd really like it.

Also, I guarantee you won't be able to put either of these down:

If On A Winter's Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino.

House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski.

Lauren Stacks said...

Randall--That book is the one I've been most interested in so far, just it hasn't been super engaging for me yet.

Jen--I'll have to check that book out! And I'll start thinking about doing a TTW post for you :)

Tara--Waiter Rant was interesting, just not a "can't put it down book" which is the only way I make time to read lately, sadly.

Adam--First off, how's the thesis?And secondly, i heard Lombardo read at AWP last year and liked him a lot!

Shelby Grace said...

Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers.
:)