Friday, December 17, 2010

book ends book list: You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know



13. You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know by Heather Sellers

As you all know from my post back on October 11th, I was so excited for this memoir by my former creative writing professor to come out--and to put it simply, I wasn't disappointed. Sellers has received rave reviews for this book; from the New York Times, Oprah's booklist, NPR, and Rachel Ray. It's hard for me not to be a little biased, considering this woman is the reason why I became a writer, but I loved the book. I devoured all her quirky little details, loved her mentally ill mother and cross-dressing alcoholic father even with all their faults, and was mesmerized by the condition she lives with: prosopagnosia, or face blindness. The best thing about this book? Sellers doesn't mull over her life-changing condition and whine and cry about how hard it is to live with; instead, she focuses mostly on her life and childhood, and uses prosopagnosia as a lens though which she views this all. And all in all, the reader comes to realize, and to actually believe, that Sellers truly appreciates her disorder and the person it has made her become.

My advice? Read this.

L. Stacks

2 comments:

hellolovephoto.com said...

Wasn't it so good?? I read it so quickly, and will probably read it again soon. Glad you're back! :)

Mel said...

This is definitely on my "get" list! I loved hearing her ideas in the workshop that she did with us.