Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Writing Insight: J.K. Rowling



A few weeks back, I saw that Oprah was interviewing J.K. Rowling on her show, so I jumped to tape the episode, as I ate up the Harry Potter books back when I read them in high school, and since it's always good to listen to a bestselling author talk about his or her experiences. It was a great interview, but there was one thing that Rowling said in particular that I keep coming back to, like it's playing in my head on repeat.

She said, "... [Love] is a concept that runs through all the major religions, without exception.. This is probably true of all writers, but I believe what I believe because of what I have written. Ultimately, before I wrote it, what did I believe? I probably couldn't have told you ..."

And I think that this is so true. Part of the reason that I write is to figure not just my characters out, but also myself. Because each of my characters, even the nasty ones, have little pieces of my in them, figuring out what makes them tick is kind of like figuring out different parts of me. And figuring out what each story, essay or book that I write means as a whole, is kind of like finding out what concepts, beliefs and emotions are most vital to me--the things that I think are worth writing about.

What all this makes me realize is this: I am so lucky to be a writer.

L. Stacks

P.S. If you didn't catch the interview yourself, make sure you check out clips on Youtube!

2 comments:

scottiedawg said...

I couldn't agree more. The reason I write is not for anyone to read it, but for the personal enjoyment and discovery it brings about. Well said Stacks!

Tara said...

what a lovely put point lauren. You are my favorite writer...and thats probably bc I love the person that you are!