Wednesday, October 6, 2010

book ends movie list: Breathless




When my friend invited me to the Music Box theatre in Lakeview to see this classic Jean-Luc Godard film a few months back, I was expecting a film similar to Contempt, the only other film of his that I had seen--so, I was expecting something that was deep, haunting, and quite sad. And so after the organ played and I settled down with a huge bag of popcorn, I was surprised to find myself wanting to laugh at different things in the movie, and so I realized that Godard was actually poking fun at elements of traditional cinematography and that it wasn't necessarily a movie that was to be taken seriously at all times.

After I figured this out, I'd say that I enjoyed the movie for the most part. I adored Patricia (played by Jean Seberg) and must say that I have been dreaming about a short little pixie cut ever since.

Watching this film definitely made me wish that I had taken a film history course while in college so that I knew more about the different film genres and terms of cinematography. Until I go back to school for yet another degree, and squeeze in a film course of two, I'll just have to resort to wikipedia to gain as much knowledge as I can.

L. Stacks

Sidenote: While I usually post a Word Count Wednesday post on Wednesdays--and I actually have been writing this past week!--I just haven't typed it all up yet (4 days worth of writing!), so therefore I don't have a word count to share. I might still be able to get to it by tonight, but we'll see how my Wednesday goes.


1 comment:

Adam Morgan said...

One of my all-time favorite movies. French New Wave rocks!