Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Favor, Please



Readers, I have a favor to ask of you. As the days wear on, I am feeling the pressure of my novel-length thesis bearing down on me--my final draft will either have to be done by mid-October for me to graduate in December of 2010, or by mid-March for me to graduate in May of 2011. I'll be honest... both of these looming dates make my stomach feel queasy and my head spin.

What I'm really telling you is that I need to get down to business. I need to stop worrying about writing my thesis and whether or not I'll be able to finish it by October and stop worrying about point of view and motives and even historical context, and instead just sit down and write. So, I am installing a new weekly post, but this time it's more for me than for you. Starting next week, I will be posting Word Count Wednesdays, a post in which I will bare all and fess up to the number of words I've written in the past week. Right now my goal is to write 2,500 words a week, which is really only like 10 pages. Totally feasible, right? (And therefore I would have about 10,000 words a month at that rate.)

So what I need from you all is for you to hold me accountable. If I don't make my count, don't tell me "It's okay, you'll do better next time." Instead, tell me to stop screwing around and get down to business! Bug me throughout the week on how many words I'm at, and *yell* at me if I start slacking. Please!

During my senior year of college, I participated in NaNoWriMo for a class (and so I had to write a 50k-word novel in one month) and I kept a sheet with my daily progress taped onto the door of my room. That was one of the most helpful things I did that month, as whenever I came out to grab a snack, or try to sneak in some TV time, my roommates would look at my word count and tell me to get back in my room, and to get writing. Word Count Wednesdays, then, is of the same mindset.

And my first week starts... now. Ready, set, go. Thank you, readers, in advance, for all your harping, pushing, and support. :)

L. Stacks

3 comments:

paxton said...

i thought our race was the most helpful thing that month.

Lauren Stacks said...

Haha, what race? The ones in the computer lab?

I'm pretty sure the most helpful thing for you was once you let your main character sprout wings.

Are you working on a project right now? We could have another race!!!

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.