Friday, April 23, 2010

Highlights of My Week


Dear readers, I apologize for being so bad about my postings lately. Sure, I've been keeping up with my National Poetry Month poetry blitz, but I haven't been blogging much of anything else lately. Things are winding down for the semester--my last semester of coursework for my MFA in Creative Writing--and needless to say, I have plenty to work on: a 12-page paper, my thesis, a graduate research presentation, and compiling a syllabus for a final project. Not to mention wedding planning and job searching.

But don't worry, it's not all stress over here. There have been some great highlights in my week that keep me pushing forward, and positive. No matter how busy my schedule is, if I get a moment or two to really enjoy something unexpected, then it all seems okay by the end of the day. Here are some of my highlights of the week:

Carrot Cake Cupcakes


This week, for some reason, I've been craving carrot cake all week long. After every meal, I want some sweet cream cheese frosting atop a cute little carrot cake cupcake--and I'm embarrassed to say that I've given in and had FOUR in the past four days. (Sheepish grin.) Each of these little guilty treats have been a highlight to my crazy week. Let's hope that things slow down next week so I don't keep this little streak up.

Photo: weheartit

A Child's "Lemonade" Stand


One of my favorite moments of the week happened on Wednesday mid-morning when I was walking home from the gym. A little boy was positioned in front of his house, with a table of cupcakes, mini water bottles and some rocks with hand-drawn faces. "Would you like to buy something from me?" he asked. I scanned his table, and fell in love with one of his little rocks. "How much?" I asked. "Whatever you think it's worth," was his very good answer. "Two dollars?" I asked, and his face lit up. "Thank you very much," he said. "Have a great day!" And the smiley rock has become a perfect little paperweight on my desk.

Photo: weheartit

Potted Plants


To liven up our little apartment, I went out and got some green little friends to adorn the empty spaces on our shelves and tables (one of my lovely roommates is getting married and moving out). Their little green branches and leaves have made me very cheerful every time I enter the house. Now I just have to make sure that I don't neglect them.

Photo: weheartit

What kinds of things do you all do to make stressful weeks happier? Any hints for the future?

L. Stacks

1 comment:

Meg said...

I LOVE carrot cake! Mmm, you're making me hungry! I might have to treat myself to one this week :)

www.meg-land.blogspot.com

xx