Tuesday, January 19, 2010

book ends book list: Olive Kitteridge



3. While traveling between California locations, I read the Pulitzer Prize-winning Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout, and could barely put it down, even in the sunny California weather. In my creative nonfiction class this past semester, my professor had mentioned reading the book, and that she was amazed by the passion behind the novel in short stories. Needless to say, I need a little passion back in my own writing, and I think this book was just what I needed right now. Each and every story was poignant, incredibly sad, and so, so true. The characters were so real--not necessarily loveable at all times, but real, and thoughtful and sensitive. I can only hope to write one story that could be as touching as any of the nine within this book. I definitely recommend this book, and especially to my writer friends out there: and may we all put more heart into our stories.

L. Stacks

1 comment:

Lori said...

I loved that book.