Monday, November 30, 2009

The Best Dessert Ever

Like I promised in this post, I am going to share the recipe for the best dessert that I have ever made (if I may say so myself). When I used to live in Bucktown, I loved to visit Red Hen Bread, and have been dearly missing it ever since my move to Lakeview. I loved their scones, their fruit tarts, and amazing sugar cookies. But it was at Red Hen Bread that I had my first Pumpkin Whoopie Pie, and I immediately was swooning over the soft pumpkin cookies with sweet cream cheese frosting in the middle.

This is the recipe that I used for the batch I made of my own, and I'm happy to say that they were every bit as good as I remember them being in Bucktown. Make a batch (or two) for yourself!

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

1 (4 oz.) melted stick of butter
1 c. packed brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 c. pumpkin puree
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
1 & 2/3 c. flour

(for the frosting:)
1/2 stick (2 oz.) soft butter
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
2 pinches salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with wax paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk in eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a spatula, fold in flour.
3. Drop 12 mounds of batter, spaced evenly, on each baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes, or until springy to touch. Cool completely.
4. Beat ingredients for frosting until fluffy.
5. Spread flat side of cookie with frosting, and top with another similar-sized cookie.

*Note: This recipe makes 12 cookies, but can easily be doubled or even tripled!

L. Stacks

2 comments:

Adam Morgan said...

And WHY haven't you ever made these for anything I'VE been to?

Mandy said...

Sounds yummy! Maybe we should get together and make some over Christmas...?