Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Countdown To My "New Job"




My summer nannying job is officially over, and so now I'm down to 5 days until I start my new job: being a writer. I don't think I've ever been so excited about starting a new job before, probably because what I get to do this fall is what I actually want to do in life.

I get to wake up early, workout (because a writer needs to feel active) and eat some breakfast. I get to blog regularly (!) and read other writer-ly blogs and literary magazines. I'll do my homework and write poetry, creative nonfiction, and work on my novel. I'll workshop others' pieces, and actually revise some of my own. I'll send.stuff.out. and then send.out.some.more. I will write by hand, and make lists, and let my poems simmer.

I am so thankful that I have this time to be able to do this: that my rent is getting cut in half, and part of my tuition is waived, and I'll be receiving a stipend for my graduate assistant position through Roosevelt University. And happy that I have support from so many of my loved ones--and hopefully they'll support me by gently reminding me to get back on task if I fall into a Lost-watching slump.

So, plan on hearing from me more once my "new job" starts next week. Ask me what I'm working on, and how the full-time writing is going. And I'll share with you what I learn about being a writer, and hopefully, being happy. Oh, and maybe I'll give you some more writing excerpts while I'm at it.

L. Stacks

6 comments:

Chitownmez said...

Yeay to old jobs being old and new jobs being new (though I'm actually missing my kids a lot today for some odd reason). I'm so ready for this semester to start.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to hear all about it! :)

Okie said...

Very cool. Best of luck to you. Looking forward to hearing about your writing successes. :)

Adam Morgan said...

Great pic! And great to hear how enthusiastic you are about the fall.

Casey said...

Yippee! As your new roomie, I am equally excited! And we'll try to keep you on track... most of the time. ;)